Chicken Pot Pie with Cauliflower "Crust"
Chicken Pot Pie
with Cauliflower "Crust"
- 2 LBS Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1 Head of Cauliflower
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 3 Carrots
- 3 Celery Stalks
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Bag Frozen Peas
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Tablespoon Amaranth Flour (or GF Flour, or All Purpose)
- 4 Tablespoons Ghee (or butter)
- 4 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1 Large Pot with Lid
- 1 Small Saucepan
- 1 Double Boiler (or large pot & strainer)
- Food Processor
- 9 x 13 Baking Dish (or multiple)
NOTE: Try using a combination of lunch-size containers that have sealing lids and a smaller baking dish, this will make lunch super easy.
- Fill double boiler with water and set on the stove over high heat; bring water to a boil.
- Cut cauliflower head and sweet potato into 2” pieces and place in the colander of the double boiler.
- Finely chop 3 carrots, 3 celery stalks and 1 onion, place in a bowl together.
- Finely mince 4 garlic cloves.
- Dice chicken into small bite-size pieces, season with 2 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of pepper.
- Once the water is boiling, place colander in and boil cauliflower and sweet potato until fork tender; about 12 minutes.
- Strain cauliflower and sweet potato, set aside to cool and drain.
- In the large pot, heat 2 TBS of ghee over medium-high heat, brown chicken until cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to a bowl leaving the pot on the stove, pour in carrots, celery and onion.
- Sauté until the onions turn translucent (about 6 minutes), then add the minced garlic, 1 tsp of salt and ½ tsp of pepper, sauté another 2 minutes.
- Pour chicken back into the pot with 1 ½ cups of broth and combine well, then turn the heat down to a simmer.
- Pour ½ cup of chicken broth into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Whisk quickly while pouring in 1 Tablespoon of flour, this will make your rue.
- Once all the flour has dissolved and you are left with a thick substance, pour that into the large pot and combine everything well.
- Turn heat down to low and let simmer until you are ready to transfer in to a dish.
- In a food processor, combine the steamed cauliflower and sweet potato, 4 Tablespoons of coconut oil, 2 Tablespoons of ghee (or butter) 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and 2 teaspoons garlic powder. Combine until smooth. This is the cauliflower “crust”.
- Transfer filling to your dish(es) and top with the cauliflower “crust”, cover and refrigerate.
- OVEN: Reheat in the oven at 400, 30 minutes with foil on and another 5-10 minutes without the foil to brown the top.
- If you are reheating a single piece, place on foil and reheat about 15 minutes.
- MICROWAVE: Reheat 3-5 minutes depending on the size of the container.